2018 Dec 07
The Afro-Latin American Research Institute at Harvard University is the first research institution in the United States devoted to the history and culture of peoples of African descent in Latin America and the Caribbean. Over 95 percent of the Africans forcibly imported into the Americas went to Latin America and the Caribbean, two thirds of them to the Spanish and Portuguese colonies. Many Hispanics in the United States are also of African descent. Cultural forms and community practices associated with Africa are conspicuous across the region - indeed, the very existence of Latin America would be unthinkable without them. During the last few decades, Afro-Latin Americans have created numerous civic, cultural, and community organizations to demand recognition, equality and resources, prompting legislative action and the implementation of compensatory policies. The Afro-Latin American Research Institute stimulates and sponsors scholarship on the Afro-Latin American experience and provides a forum where scholars, intellectuals, activists and policy makers engage in exchanges and debates.
- Harvard Gazette: "A Minority Turns On The Light"
- Twelve States of the Americas gather in Lima and create Inter-American Network of High-Level Authorities for the Afrodescendant Population
- Afro-Latin American Studies: An Introduction
- Frontiers of Citizenship by Yuko Miki
- Mujeres Afroecuatorianas: Avances y Retos para Alcanzar la Equidad en Ejercicio Pleno de Nuestros Derechos
- Cativeiro das Brancas: Sobre o filme Vazante de Daniela Thomas
- First Continental Conference on Afro-Latin American Studies / Primer Encuentro Continental de Estudios Afrolatinoamericanos / Primeiro Encontro Continental de Estudos Afro-latino-americanos in December 2019 at Harvard University. Apply by February 1, 2019 t.co/ObUDlQcfZF
- Call for Proposals for 2019 Mark Claster Mamolen Dissertation Workshop on Afro-Latin American Studies. Apply by January 13, 2019. More information on how to apply in the link: t.co/WcNCfZVq5J #AfroLatinAmericanStudies
- Nuestro Boletín de Agosto salió! Lean sobre el Día de la Persona Negra y la Cultura Afrocostarricense, Oportunidades de Becas y mucho más! t.co/YAMZJ7S1Qm